Thursday, December 20, 2007

Turcatey

I assure you, the stories I write here are real. This is honestly my life. Welcome to the insanity....

As you know, about a week ago, my cat was run over. He was a lovely white cat with light brown tabby stripes. He had loved to meow and rub up against your legs for attention. He was 10 years old.

I was out of town when it happened and did not get to witness him or the aftermath. Perhaps that is why I keep seeing him everywhere.

From the corner of my eye, he darts about. One day, I knew I saw him out my backyard window. On a second inspection, I realized it was our dog--who also happens to be white. The next day I stopped cold when I thought I saw him laying in the grass across the street--it was just a plastic bag. Yes, Simon is indeed gone--even if it doesn't seem quite real.

Yesterday, on my way to town, I see something on the side of the road. As I get closer I realize it's an animal. I always feel a sense of disappointment when I see any animal as road kill--let alone a cat--and especially after having my own pet die in such a manner. Getting closer, it seems to be a cat--a white cat with familiar brown stripes. It is sitting in a freakish position--up on it's bottom, leaning forward, legs splayed. I gave my usual "awwwwww......too bad," speech to myself and continue on the road. But this animal I can't stop thinking about. What were the odds a cat would land that way? And actually stay? It bothered me. I wanted to go back and push it over so it was laying on its side. I don't know why, it just bothered me. Like its was propped up for some road side freak show. And then I think..what if it isn't dead and it's trying to get up? What if it is hurt and still alive?

I turn around and head back.

Coming up on the scene, I try to brace myself. Living in the country, I have seen my fair share of road carnage. It can be brutal to say the least. It was still there, but it didn't look as white as I first saw--this time it looked beige all over. I started to slow down and pull over. It has no head. Just a big gaping hole. OK didn't expect that.

But this is where it gets very strange. I know, I know--strange is turning around to go look at a probably dead cat. To do what? Try to save it? That never crossed my mind, but I didn't have to worry about that. Turns out, it isn't a cat--not at all. It is a turkey. No, not a turkey on the lamb from the slaughter house...and not a wild turkey who took a wrong turn. I mean a turkey like you buy for Thanksgiving. A "pass the gravy?" kind of turkey. There it was--a random, unwrapped, uncooked turkey in the median. I have to admit, I was relieved. But at the same time I didn't know what to think! Which was stranger--that I saw my dead cat on the side of the road but it was really a turkey OR that I saw a raw turkey laying on the side of the road. I think I may be going insane...

No comments: