Monday, February 1, 2010

Snow bound projects



I have been taking advantage of the snow days. There has been a LOT of sitting around, starring at tv. There has been dancing and singing. There has been minimal cooking, but yet, still lots of dirty dishes. I have been cleaning a bit too. Every single shelf and drawer in my kitchen has been cleaned out in a early wish-it-was-spring cleaning sweep.



Case in point: my spice/baking shelf. Check. It. Out.







Yeah, don't hate me.

It will only look like that for a few weeks anyway.


And here is my canned goods area, all purged of cans dating as far back as 2005.





What else....

There has been Internet surfing and online shopping.


(Lands End has a great outlet area on their website, by the way.)


There has been junk food eating and sleeping in.


There has also been snowman making and wet clothes drying.







But when all else fails, a good craft can pass the time. Here was an easy one I made.






I was inspired by a picture in the Pottery Barn catalog.




This isn't really the picture, but the closest one I could find on the website. See the bottle with the spoons? Love.



And it just so happens that in the back of my pantry was a old paper bag full of silver spoons and forks from my great grandmother. And they were just begging to come out and play.




I already had a couple of cool containers from the after Christmas Target sale. I just scuffed up the shiny lids a bit with sandpaper to make them look more rustic.







The chalkboard label is courtesy of the Dollar Store. (note: bad cursive writing is courtesy of my 4th grade teacher. ) These are wall stickers with a chalk board surface.





Simply cut into whatever size/shape you want and presto chango! (Pardon the mess on the table. My kids were water coloring at the same time.







They look right at home in my grandmother's hutch.




What have you been doing on snow days to pass the time?










2 comments:

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

I had wondered if those chalkboard stickers work.
Y'all know how to have a good time!

Vanessa said...

Awesome idea! I saw those at DT. I love how you repurposed the stickers!